28 June, 2016

Boys Grow Up


This is my boy.

Celebrating in style after completing his Pharmacy Doctorate Program from OSU (Oregon State University).

Out of a class of just over 100 graduates this year, OSU and OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) gave away ten awards to twelve of the graduates. My son was given the Most Outstanding Graduate of the entire class.

He has been president of his class, been active in the pharmacy fraternity, attended numerous pharmaceutical conferences and events, helped produce a winning film for OSU about the pharmacy program. He also helped get legislation passed that allows Oregon Pharmacists to dispense birth control to women.

Above and beyond that, he has a mom who has an auto-immune disease. He has seen me actively seek tests and information so I can be as functional as possible. His education, just like medical doctors leans heavily on drugs to help symptoms. He knows I would like to be drug-free for as long as possible and has acknowledged that my naturopath and voodoo hippie doc (chiropractor) have identified what is wrong with my immune system where traditional doctors have failed miserably.

He has seen my awkward health journey and has worked to incorporate it into his training.
He will be doing his residency closer to home next year (residencies are optional) and is very excited to finally be out of school.

 I am so proud to be his mom. He is amazing.



Central Oregon

4 comments:

  1. YAY congratulations mom and Mr. Graduate! I think our pharmacists are an underutilized resource. Here in Canada we're starting to realize this, and have been using them more AS a resource. A few years ago it wouldn't even have been on the radar to get flu shots from the pharmacies, but now we do. I'm not sure what other rights we've given them - we're really just in the beginning stages of this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* - how amazing is your son! I read about him in awe.. what a wonderful son, you must be so proud. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great photo! Most Outstanding Graduate?!?! That is amazing! Tell him I wish him the best & Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list of achievements! Congratulations to all!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.