05 May, 2016

A Pint Of Green Juice




I was a good girl this morning. I made a huge batch of green juice for a healthier May. 

The last time I drank my green juice was early in April. I had not been feeling well with my auto-immune and I have a horrible habit of thinking, if I feel so crummy, then I can eat whatever, as I can't possibly feel any worse.

Logically - that doesn't work. I do feel worse -- not being vigilant eating well for my auto-immune. It's funny where internal beliefs drive us.




Then I saw a beautiful bouquet of Mock-Orange in my Instagram feed and when I was all finished cleaning up the juicing operation, I went out and cut myself a bouquet. Right next to these fragrant Mock Orange blooms were these luscious Iris's. Love the deep purple against the white.






 Cleaning out the fridge for juicing, I came across this Cauliflower moldering in the vegetable drawer. I turned it into a quick soup.

Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Non-dairy, non-soy.

Head of cauliflower cut up into chunks, trim off the icky bits.
Steamed in beef stock (or whatever liquid you have lurking in your fridge).
If you use water, you'll need to adjust herbs.
2 tsp. dried Thyme
dash salt

When tender - about 20 minutes, turn off heat and let sit while you finish your juicing clean-up.

Use your stick blender to blend and mush the cauliflower, slowly adding coconut milk until you feel it is the right amount. Between 2 -3 cups. Blend until smooth.


easy peasy dinner for tonight.





 My green juice always seems to taste better in cool glasses.
Thank you dear daughter.

Today's Green Juice.

In your juicer:
3 granny smith apples
1 1/2 bunches of celery

In your blender:
Use juice from apples and celery to blend:
1 giant bag of fresh spring greens - spinach, kale, arugula, etc.
5 baby bok choy's ('cuz baby veggies taste better?)
4 zucchini

and today I added:
Stalk rhubarb
2 tbsps sea kelp
1 cup Hemp hearts


I have heard Rhubarb is  anti-parasitic. My doc thinks my fatigue and depression this spring might spring from a parasite I picked up during my January trip to Hawaii when I was so tired after the Christmas work (63 hrs/wk!).

I grew up with rhubarb and seriously dislike the texture - stewed rhubarb anyone? But I'm willing to try anything and oftentimes, veggies taste better as juice.
The hemp hearts were something new at my store and I thought I'd try them. The sea kelp was bought a while ago and forgotten about.

The only other weird thing about juicing is I prefer the green. If you add blueberries - it's brown. as in - eeuuwhw. If you add beets for the sweetener instead of apples, it's red, which is slightly better than brown.

I prefer green. I can't tolerate too much fruit, so my juice is mostly veggies.

And hubby has asked, "what's that taste like?"  me: "like drinking your veggies". I wouldn't do it if I weren't so sick. I try to use organic as much as possible. It's like 30 minutes to clean up, so I make enough for the week.



My sweet SIL gave me this little garden ornament for my birthday.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear :-(, hope you feel better soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mock Orange is just barely starting.to bloom! Nice to see your bouquet looking so good. I agree that things taste better in cool glasses! That is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the purple and white...

    I should juice more. I need to get a good blender. I only have this mini one that cant really do heavier stuff. I hope you get back on track. I've found that after menopause my stomach seems to be sensitive and if I'm not diligent I feel sluggish and tired...it takes work to keep my health up now....I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be part if it. The menapause trials.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check my mock orange.. I haven't seen any blooms yet. My Siberian iris are in bloom, though. None of the ones I got from you are in bloom.. they must not like it here! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.